Question by  devika (51)

What do I need to put in a letter to a judge regarding custody of a minor child?

I am writing to a judge to state my case to gain custody of my grandchildren.


Answer by  patti (29325)

If there is to be a custody hearing, you must appear. If either parent is living, that parent(s) has priority for custody unless s/he is proven incompetent due to addiction or mental illness. You must be able to make the case that the parents are clearly incompetent with indisputable proof, not opinion or anecdotal evidence.


Answer by  barkley (951)

You need to include why your grandchildren should live with you, prove that is it in the best intersts of the children, perhaps include that you could provide a safe, loving, stable environment. State that you are physically, emotionally and financially stable and want to take care of the children and provide them a good home.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

You need to state clearly why you are requesting custody. You need to keep this professional. If there are police reports, you need to include them. Be aware that the court feels your pain, but the court is objective- you need to show true cause, not emotion.


Answer by  SubhashChander (1773)

Yes, you can given in writing to the judge having jurisdiction to state your case giving all facts and figures for getting the official custody of your grandchildren if according to you they are minors and not in the safe hands at present.


Answer by  gagramma (0)

My grandkids are in state custody in GA and I want to send a letter requesting permanent placement in my home. Is it appropriate to send the letter to the judge as well as defacs?

You have 50 words left!