Question by  aearthdragon (471)

What can you do for a dog that is allergic and exposed to poison oak?

My dog seems to be miserable after an exposure to poison oak.


Answer by  sandeep (29)

I will provide a full treatment for the dog, treat the affiliated area with calamine lotion 3 to 4 times a day. Also i will be careful that the rash doesn't get to dry, which will make the itch even worse and stop using calamine lotion when the oozing stops.


Answer by  Captainrichspicedrum (49)

Even if you are positive that it is poison oak, plan on a trip to the vet. Some other things you can do to help immediately or to prevent further infection of the plant, is to bathe your dog thoroughly. Some people give benadryl to their pets, i would not recommend this. Definitly a bath and a vet.


Answer by  fishlover49 (643)

The best thing to do for your dog would be to bathe him in vinegar/water. Mix 1/4 cup vinegar and a cup of water to rinse the infected area and repeat every 4 hours. You can also check a local store for some anti-itch lotion made for dogs.


Answer by  meena (400)

When the dog gets allergy the plants there may be itching caused on the body which in turn form a rash, you can given him a allergy tablet after the consultation of the vet doctor, the allergy may stay for some time a week or so, it is better to remove the oak plants.

You have 50 words left!