Question by  ivan (13)

How should I treat poison oak on my dog's belly?

I think that's what it is. His belly is all red, blistered and itchy, and he won't leave it alone.


Answer by  WranglerMama (289)

Dogs do not usually react to poison oak. If you know he has come into contact with it, wash the area thoroughly and wear gloves so you don't get the oils on your skin. Your dog might have impetigo (a bacterial skin infection) and should see the vet for a proper diagnosis.


Answer by  Valentine62 (2131)

Wash the area with soap and water and then use a triple antibiotic on his rash. He will try to lick it off, so, you may need to put one of those cones around his head so that he cannot reach the area.


Answer by  HeidiW (371)

First you should be sure that's what it is. It's best to take him at the vet, but you can also treat him with calamine lotion or a lotion based on menthol.


Answer by  sooz (644)

Dogs and cats seem to be more resistant to poison oak and poison ivy than people. If they do come in contact and it seems minor, a long, long bath usually takes care of it. If it is more severe take your dog to a vet.

You have 50 words left!