debt  legal  money


Question by  beefcakejake (110)

How do I get a judgment for wage garnishment?

I want to garnish my former husband's wages.


Answer by  nasemcsc (36)

You first must have a judgment against the defendant. Once a judgment is in place, an application must be served to the court and one must be served to the defendant either certified mail or process server. The court will review the application and approve or return the request.


Answer by  Mary (2095)

You file a petition with the court to request garnishment. There are also services that can do this for you.


Answer by  willard82 (6)

A civil judgment must be sought at the district court level in your county. The fees for such filing are dependent upon the amount of your claim. Once you have filed the claim with your local magistrate, a hearing will be scheduled, at which time a judgment may be ordered.


Answer by  LouLou (52)

Assuming this is related to owed support, your attorney can file for that in family court. Some states do not allow for this, so check with your attorney first. If it is not for arrears of support, you may not be able to do it at all.


Answer by  cmass (26)

Demonstrate to the court that your former husband owes you money (for instance alimony, child supprt, some other award etc) and has not paid it. You will have to serve him, his employer, issue restraining orders. You may be entitled to garnish a percent of his wages.


Answer by  MaryL (117)

Depends on what you are trying to granish for. Small claims normally under $1500 can be filed by yourself with out an attorney. Initially you will need to prove to the judge that your claim is valid. Once he grants in favor, he will have to pay you. If not then you can can file for a garnishment.

You have 50 words left!