legal  money


Question by  worker10 (27)

How do I obtain a hardship exception to a garnishment?

I need information on having a hardship exception to a garnishment.


Answer by  CLV66 (73)

If you cannot stop it by negotiating with the party owed the money, you have to file a Claim of Exemption with the court. If you can show that you will not be able to meet your basic living costs because of it, the judge may grant it.


Answer by  leilahlana (49)

There is no way to apply for a hardship exception. Most states you need to submit a letter with the reasons of hardship and the reasons have to be valid. Most states will not allow you to claim a financial hardship.


Answer by  Advisor (1032)

Hardship exceptions are very specific to type of debt, your ability (in the court's view) to repay, previous attempts at collection and the state you reside. If judgment has been issued, contact the collection attorney and judge with your circumstances, and a promise to begin repayment on lower terms.


Answer by  David49858 (2)

call your local clerk of courts and ask..they are very helpful.

You have 50 words left!