Question by  Ryan (21)

Where can Navy wives go for legal advice?

As a Navy wife I am having a hard time finding a lawyer to help me with custody issues concerning a child from my first marriage.


Answer by  patti (29325)

The USN has no vested interest. USN legal services are for Navy personnel. As far as the law is concerned, your current husband is not involved in a custody concern over a child from a previous relationship. That's between you and the child's father. Seek private counsel.


Answer by  worker6183 (11)

Each military branch has a Staff Judge Advocate (SJA). The role of the SJA is serving as a legal advisor to their parent unit or military installation. The SJA can advise on issues dealing with administative law, government contracting, civilian and military law. Each military post has an SJA office.


Answer by  beth14 (133)

The Family Support and Fleet Center is a great place to start. Although they may not be able to provide you with an exact name of an attorney, they can provide some general guidance and direction on this issue. Your Ombudsman is another great resource for you.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Navy wives, like the wives of any service personnel, are expected to seek legal advice on their own. The military does have legal counsel for service personnel with regard to matters within the service. There is no legal service available for civilians and civilian matters, especially as they pertain to private matter concerning previous marriages.


Answer by  Justin98 (5)

You need to get in touch with either your local Ombudsman, or your local JAG office. How this works will also depend upon which marriages were military.(or if both are)

You have 50 words left!