Question by  mohamedarshad (17)

How do you get your misdemeanor record clean?

I have 2 misdemeanor from a long time ago that I would like to get rid of.


Answer by  LadyLawyer (325)

Boh midemeanors must have the conviction part of the sentence withheld. Since you have two, it is doubtful that the second one has a withhold unless they were done together. Your state has a form that the sheriff's office fills out, and they typically forward it to the proper channels.


Answer by  BilWitters (436)

To get misdemeanors off of your permanent record, you would need to file an expungement form in the county in which the misdemeanor was filed or recorded. Each county and state use different forms for expungement, but most can be found on the court's website or by visiting their legal department.


Answer by  rachel60 (7)

To clear your record you have have to complete any requirements the court sets, such as community service or misdemeanor probation, pay off your fines and stay out of trouble for a certain length of time. Then petition the court. Next pay court costs and fees again. After all that your record will be cleared.


Answer by  surveymom25 (69)

To remove a misdemeanor charge you can file an expungement. Each state has the own laws on expungement but you can prepare and file it yourself. An expungement will remove criminal records on file from trials, incarcerations, and arrests. Most states only allow one expugement per person.


Answer by  Ron27 (465)

Your best bet is to hire a good lawyer. Expungements are possible, but will be difficult for you to get if you don't know what you're doing.


Answer by  John (9008)

The rules for this vary from state to state; in some states, it cannot be done. You should talk to a lawyer licensed in the state where the conviction happened.


Answer by  DackThrombosis (1093)

Expunging your record is usually impossible in most places. If you committed misdemeanors as an adult, you will probably not get them removed from your record. Only juveniles have their records expunged automatically. If the crimes happened ten or so years earlier, you could apply to the governor for a pardon.


Answer by  krpmuffitt (223)

Getting rid of misdemeanor convictions depends on your particular cirmcumstances and the state you live in. Generally, most states have enpungement laws that allow minor convictions to be removed from your record if you meet the criteria set forth. Common criteria are age at time of conviction and no other convictions.


Answer by  josh69 (10)

There is no way to "get rid" of the offenses. If the two misdemeanors occurred as a juvenile, you can request for the records of them to be sealed.

You have 50 words left!