Question by  katherineagmailcom (140)

What are my rights if my husband leaves me and my name is not on the deed of the house?

My husband says he wants a divorce and that I have no rights to the house.


Answer by  Rose (6804)

There are laws in place to protect you and ensure that you will not have to move out of the house. If he files for divorce and was the one to move out of the home, leaving you there he is acknowledging that you have a right to be there.


Answer by  Danellia (134)

It depends if you live in a communitive state. If you do not then half is yours. This means you own half of what accumalated during marriage.


Answer by  John (9008)

The rules for this vary by state. In most states, however, anything that was bought during the marriage is the property of both spouses. This would include if mortgage payments were made during the marriage. If, however, he owned the house before you got married, it is his alone.


Answer by  Jason41 (229)

Depending on what state you live in, the wife/spouse is able to get 50% of whatever property/belongings you have had through the time of your marriage. Even if your name is not on the Deed. Check with an attorney to see if your state applies


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

This depends on whether you are in a community property state or not. If you live in a community property state, it is half yours. If not, it isn't.

You have 50 words left!