Question by  lemdawg (22)

How do I add a person to the deed on my house?

I want to add my new husband to my deed.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

If you have a mortgage, you will need to re-mortgage. If you are not financed, you need to consult your Registry of Deeds for the procedure to re-write your deed.


Answer by  ashajohnson (19)

You can call title company that handled the closing when you purchased the house You just have to go in and sign a addendum to your deal saying that you want her name added. Just send themortgage company a copy of the updated deed after it is recorded.


Answer by  John (9008)

The rules for this vary tremendously from state to state. It is definitely something that you want to have a lawyer do for you rather than trying to do yourself. In some states, there could be additional complicating factors if you have a mortgage or if your husband has debts.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

You simply go to the courthouse and file an amendment to the deed. However, since there are two of you, you may want to consider refinancing the mortgage as well to include both of your names, potentially reducing the interest rate.


Answer by  heather88 (1897)

You should consult a lawyer to find out. The lawyer would be able to help you out. I think a lawyer can.

You have 50 words left!