Question by  twowee56 (15)

Is there a general birth registry for all of England?

I'm looking for an old birth certificate.


Answer by  Ronaldo91 (345)

The General Register Office will provide birth certificates from 1837 onwards with the index reference number or from 1900 onwards if you know the date that the person was born. There is usually a fee involved of around 10 quid, but you can probably also order an entire index to locate the information if you don't need the full certificate.


Answer by  HilaryC (1382)

It depends on how old. Try contacting a local genealogy center. Also check out the Mormon's Family History website, they have records from all over the world.


Answer by  patti (29325)

The Mormons (LDS) operate the most complete/comprehensive geneaology library in the world; and it's free, no strings attached! There are free, staffed libraries all over the country that you can use; contact the LDS church in your area for info. There's also an online presence where you can search UK records, including old church records, etc.


Answer by  Dean (4035)

The country itself has no general registry. If you are in the US, your best bet is to go through the genealogy library service of the LDS (Mormon) Church, which has an incredible, state-of-the-art family history library that is free to all. Most cities have at least one brick-and-mortar library. Check the Yellow Pages.

You have 50 words left!