Question by  Marlon (21)

If you have a durable power of attorney, do you have to file it with the county or city that you live in?

I'm wondering about filing requirements for a possible universal power of attorney.


Answer by  Dean (4035)

The instrument is used to conduct the affairs of someone who cannot. If these matters involve the courts, the court will ask to see the POA.


Answer by  patti (29325)

The Power Of Attorney is filed in the jurisdiction (usually in Probate Court) where the party granting the POA lives. Fore example, if your mother is giving you POA, it will be filed where she lives, regardless when you live. You will then be issued the documents showing that you have POA.


Answer by  jijo67 (112)

In normal cases one do not need to file it with with the country or city . If you have a power of attorney, you must keep the documents always in your hand. But in real estate transactions you should file it in country land records office.


Answer by  emmarick (11)

Usually not. Instead the agent under the PoA should give a copy to the entity that the agency is trying to conduct business with.


Answer by  kbbaybee16 (350)

I do not believe that you have to file your DPA with the place that you live. make sure that you do give a copy to your emergency contacts on your DPA. I have one as well and it is not filed with my place of living. jus have it filled out and signed by two witnesses.


Answer by  Tomg (129)

Power of attorney allows you to conduct specific duties outlined in the original document signed by the person allowing the power of attorney. This document is not required to be filed in court but must be kept to show authority for the actions. If the person can not sign the document then a the court must grant the document.


Answer by  epglaw (553)

Generally you do not have to file a durable power of attorney. Just keep the original with you when you need to conduct business. Always have a copy available if a bank or company needs a copy in order to allow you to act on the person's behalf.


Answer by  tschu (417)

No, just make sure you always have the legal doccument on hand. Usally if a situation arises that requires the paperwork you can give someone the poa paper and they will honor it. One excption is during a real estate transiction you must file it with the county clerk.

You have 50 words left!