Question by  ted (15)

How do you sue for money received?

I paid a bill that I shouldn't have paid, and they won't give me my money back.


Answer by  patti (29325)

File in Small Claims court--very simple to do. You can add the filing costs to your claim. You'll need the full address of the company/party that owes you.


Answer by  Ronaldo91 (345)

Depending on your jurisdiction there may be a small claims or disputes court that will hear your case. Be sure to gather all evidence required, proof that you didn't owe them the money and that you paid in error, evidence to show that they have failed to return the money. Generally you don't need representation for this kind of court.


Answer by  AnnaTeague (806)

I hope that you kept all receipts and bills pertaining to this bill. If it is less than the small claims court jurisdictional limit in your county, you can file a "sworn account" action against the other party. You can do this alone or you can hire a lawyer.


Answer by  Hewitt302 (1720)

Unfortuantely, it will be hard to sue if you already paid the bill. Had you checked the bill ahead of time, and you knew for certain it was sent in error, then you could contact the bill processor and had the account closed (they will automatically check for identity theft).

You have 50 words left!