Question by  nirmal (13)

What can I do about HOA suing me for past dues?

I have no money to pay the dues or a lawyer.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Go to court and explain to the judge that you are unable to pay the dues. Take detailed evidence of your financial situation, including a neatly prepared summary. (The judge will not sift through a pile of your bills.) If you demonstrate responsible handling of your finances despite your current hardship, the ruling will likely be in your favor.


Answer by  TheAnswerFairy (2345)

Your best chance would be to try to negotiate a settlement with the HOA. You will most likely not be able to avoid paying all the dues that you owe, but they may accept a smaller payment if it will allow them to avoid the legal fees involved in suing.


Answer by  John (9008)

If you have a valid Homeowner's Association, you must pay your dues. You need to try to reach a compromise with them, such as paying your back dues over time.


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

HOA are notorious for not making arrangements with the owners. Unfortunately when you moved into the subdivision you basically signed away all your rights. If you can't make them agree to some modification then most likely they will get a judgement against you. I would advise you to move out of the subdivison before it gets to that point.


Answer by  maber (1427)

You will have to pay the dues. You can not get around paying the fees. If you are sued and unable to come up with the money to pay the fees, they will put a lien on the house.


Answer by  joshandeleisa (331)

Your HOA can take you to court and if you are unable to pay the dues, they can place a lien against your house. This just means you can not sell with out paying them off. However, with out paying the dues or obtaining an attorney there isnt much you can do.


Answer by  Liz59 (10966)

Well, you can file a complaint on them and send it to court saying that you can no longer pay them or prove that they are charging you on false pretenses. Either way, you have to show that they are charging you with no grounds. Then your claim will be somewhat legit.

You have 50 words left!