Question by  harwoodkp (376)

How do I petition open adoption records in California (in Humboldt County)?


Answer by  Vladimir (459)

The information may be obtained by any adoptee over eighteen years old if both parties sign a notarized consent or by persons adopted after 1st January 1984 after turning twenty-one if the biological parents signed a release or if the parental rights were revoked by court order.


Answer by  JohnHolmes (2660)

You will need to visit the county clerk with the documentation of who you are as well as your birth certificate and identification.


Answer by  worker2746 (2434)

Go to the adoption records area and check with them on how to petition for the records. If you want to continue with the rest of the process - you check with a lawyer.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

In 2003 Humboldt County made very particular regulations to allow access to records of this sort- this actually makes it a little easier for the proper people to access adoption records. You need to contact the Humboldt County Clerk, who is very willing and able to guide you through this. County clerks are very knowledgeable, and very, very kind.


Answer by  ttownbeast (341)

You have to file your petition in civil court for sealed records concerning adoption in the county which the adoption took place which will be where the records are held.


Answer by  CarlSCansino (464)

Generally speaking, petition for adoption records are not available to the public, however, if the cause for opening the adoption records are sufficiently important the court may allow it.

You have 50 words left!