Question by  suzyq16 (47)

How did I get mushrooms in my houseplants?

And how can I get rid of them?


Answer by  gummie (738)

Mushrooms generally grow in moist conditions. I think you may have used outdoor soil to pot your plant. You may have picked up the mushroom spores in the soil and are, also, overwatering your plant which encourages the ideal condition for growth. Repot your plant with potting soil from the store and do not overwater. This should stop further problems.


Answer by  Kittae (60)

Most soil has at least a few spores in it, and those were activated by watering too much--mushrooms love damp environments. Let your soil dry out between waterings. If the mushrooms persist, get some powdered vitamin C to mix into the plant's water. You can find this wherever they sell sprouting jars or health food stores.


Answer by  Latin4 (11170)

Mushrooms are caused by overwatering the plant. The best thing to do is to take the plant out of the soil and put it in new soil. If you are using the same pot, wash the pot out throughly. This will give a plant a fresh start. A little plant fertilizer would be a good idea.


Answer by  Carol37 (569)

Mushroom spores are found in ferilizers. This fertilizer may have been added at the nursery when not completely composted. The easy way (if the plants are small) is to repot with a potting soil. Save the old soil, throw it out in a sunny spot in the yard. Or, if poosible, let the soil dry out. Mushrooms need moisture.

You have 50 words left!