Question by  Smartypants (16)

How can I get an Illinois DUI charge reduced to reckless driving?

I don't want a DUI on my record.


Answer by  patti (29325)

An attorney may be able to assist you, depending on the nature of the DUI. A lot of factors are considered: what was your BAC? was there a collision, damage, injuries? how old are you? any criminal past? No one wants a DUI on his or her record. It's always a good idea to keep this in mind beforehand.


Answer by  angiem1981 (1059)

This is typically up to the prosecuting attorney and the judge. If you agree to plea, they may agree. Your attorney needs to contact the prosecutor to set it up.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Then don't drink and drive. You did the crime you do the time. You are probably not going to get this charge reduced. Drunk driving is a serious offense and now a days it's being taken even MORE seriously. Some states even require jail time in the punishment. Even if you didn't, you could have killed someone.


Answer by  Shankalot (484)

In these times DUI is a difficult charge to be reduced. The first thing to do is get a lawyer who specializes in this area. Second, examine the documents to see how much over the limit you were. A little and the lawyer can work a deal, but if you were way over limit you are cooked.


Answer by  belle39 (966)

You may want to talk with your lawyer about appealing to the court to have your charge reduced. But know that even if this charge is reduced, it will stay on your record as a "prior DUI" offense and you're arrested for this charge again it again becomes a full DUI charge.

You have 50 words left!