Question by  Szergiu (19)

Do bad people make a poinsettia poison?

Aren't they poisonous?


Answer by  chavelo (114)

No, poinsettia poinson is not made by bad people. The amount of poinsettia poison needed to be ingested to hurt someone is astronomical and would nearly be impossible to happen.


Answer by  SallyJ64 (3121)

They actually aren't poisonous, it's an urban myth. A child would have to eat 400 leaves before they they would die from ingesting poinsettia. The rumor started in the beginning of the 20th century, but it's completely untrue. It's not on the list of poisonous plants from the National Poison control. Don't worry about it this Christmas!

posted by Anonymous
Unfortunately even you have it incorrect! This poor plant can't win for anything. Ohio State University showed that a 50 pound child who ate 500 bracts MIGHT have a slight tummy ache. not death! Please correct your information.  add a comment

Answer by  Sett (1838)

Poinsterria's are poisonous because they have toxins inside of the flower petals. If eaten by a child or animal the poinsettia can cause sever diarrhea and vomiting, but many websites say that the flower is not deadly, the person would die if they had an allergic reaction to it instead.

posted by Anonymous
Sett shame on you! You are completely wrong, as of yet no one, including animals of ANY type, have been documented as having died from ingesting poinsettia. Severe diarrhea/vomitting would be only after eating 10 to 12 whole plants! use facts not myths! no toxins in poinsettias period!  add a comment
You have 50 words left!