Question by  giplak (22)

Can dogs eat crabapples or are they toxic?

My dogs ate some of the crabapples that fell on the ground, I am worried they will die.


Answer by  outlaw (177)

Crab apples are toxic to dogs and could lead to death. The apple seeds contain arsenic. Contact a vet if they experience loose stools, vomiting, seizures, shaking, etc.


Answer by  worker7654 (1033)

I would not engourage that behavior but if the dogs are not showing any ill side effects from eating them then you should be fine. Teach the dogs to stay away from carbapples in order to prevent further problems. Dogs do like to eat fruit and it is normal for them to want to.


Answer by  srainne (2597)

I wouldn't be too worried if your dogs only ate a few crap apples. They aren't toxic, but too much fruit of any kind can "ferment" in the dog's stomach. This causes diarrhea and stomach aches, but nothing too serious. I would just keep an eye on the dogs and make sure you let them outside frequently for a while.


Answer by  cklight (327)

Crabapples are toxic, however toxicity level depends on the amount ingested and the size of your dog. You should probably take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

You have 50 words left!