Question by  DesertRat (699)

Are black ant bites dangerous?

My toddler got bitten several times yesterday by black ants and now she has swelling.


Answer by  jacks83 (96)

Black ant bites are usually harmless. Sometimes it may make a stinger mark, but it will be vanished soon. Since it does not have the venom in the stings, they are totally safe. The formic acid in their stings are comparatively low than a red ant. It will be just like a pinch.


Answer by  TwoToneDodge (2204)

The common black ant bite is nothing to really worry about unless you were rolling in them for hours. Toddlers on the other hand are just more susceptible to infection and swelling under ANY circumstance. I advise you to take her to a doctor just to be sure. There could be a possibility that there is an allergy involved.


Answer by  myself (21)

If one is bitten by the black carpenter ant, the site can become irritated from formic acid deposited into the tissue. It would not be considered dangerous, unless there is an allergic reaction.

You have 50 words left!