Question by  bindhu83 (11)

What is the United States law regarding the overpayment of employees?

My company overpaid me, and the money isn't in my account anymore. Do I have to pay them back?


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

Trust me on this, get yourself to payroll asap and make plans to give the money back before they get in touch with you. An audit will eventually uncover it so be proactive. Explain you can't pay it all back at once but will be able to give a portion of each paycheck until it is repaid.


Answer by  rightlight (1053)

Once overpaid, an employer has-little recourse to regain those paid wages. They will require an employee to sign a form stating they are allowed to take it. Just don't sign-that-form.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

The company can only demand the money back if they have proof they overpaid you as a result of an error. They cannot simply state "pay it back" without documentation.


Answer by  mn (14)

Overpyments can be setteled by both parties, the empleyor and employee agree on a certain dedection every fixed period of time, like monthly.If disputed, State court will be the answer.


Answer by  mightyspidey (1080)

It sounds like they realized their mistake before the check actually cleared, since the money is no longer in your account. You don't have the right to keep overpaid money.

You have 50 words left!