Question by  wire (43)

What is the law on property damage caused by a storm in Iowa?

I suffered extensive property damages from a storm.


Answer by  BilWitters (436)

Most of the time storm damage would be covered under your home owners' insurance policy. You would need to get a copy of the policy which was in place at the time of the storm to make sure there aren't any exceptions. Otherwise, storm damage is an act of nature.


Answer by  2525252 (717)

Well if you have insurance then it should all be covered. But if you don't have insurance there is not really much you can do about this at all. Thus check with a professional.


Answer by  Dean (4035)

Storms are not subject to the law in Iowa or any place else. The law governs people and their actions. With regard to property damage, you would first contact your insurance agent and refer to your policy for details of the coverage. If widespread damage required the declaration of a disaster area, you may be eligible for FEMA funding.


Answer by  patti (29325)

If you are referring to the laws that govern insurance coverage in Iowa, you should first examine the insurance policy on the property. Contact the insurance company for details of coverage, liability and limits. If you you feel you are not getting accurate or complete information, contact the Iowa State Insurace Commission.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

If you have homeowners insurance it will cover property damages. If the storm was a huge on sometimes the state will declare the area a disaster area and will pay to help you recover some of your property. If you are on a farm and your crops were damage the Agriculture department will often cover crop damage in large storms.


Answer by  Ron27 (465)

A storm is an act of God, in a legal standpoint. No one is responsible for acts of God. If you have insurance on our property, you should contact your insurance company speak to a claims adjuster to see if you are entitled to reimbursement, but if you are not insured, your property is lost.


Answer by  Ron27 (465)

If you have insurance, contact the claims department to determine how much money you can recover. Without insurance, there is no one who is required to pay you for damages caused by an act of God.


Answer by  catch2007 (212)

You should first look to see if your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy will cover the cost of repairing any damages suffered in the storm. If a disaster area was declared by the Governor or the President, you may be eligible for government assistance. If not, there really are no laws that entitle you to compensation from the state.


Answer by  tschu (417)

If your area was declared a disaster area you would be able to file the claim with FEMA. If this isn't the case file a claim with your homeowners insurance.


Answer by  JillB (47)

It depends on your insurance coverage. Some damage, such a flooding, must be covered by specific insurance. Contact your insurance agent to review your policy.

You have 50 words left!