Question by  DavidYoder (25)

What could cause a metallic smell with well water and is it safe to drink?

Over the past week I have noticed a very distinct metallic smell in my well water.


Answer by  aiurfpa111 (18)

I used to have well water, several years ago, and have noticed this myself. In my case, the metal present in my water causing the odor was copper, but I have heard that iron can have the same effect. Test for iron, if it is iron, get a filter.


Answer by  whoareyou (3483)

Water can often change over time, and you should have your water tested for major chemicals and toxic metals regularly, and espeicialy if you notice a change in the smell or taste. Everything from chlorine and chemicals to actual metals such as mercury and lead can over time seep into our water lines.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Well water does this from time to time since there is a ton of iron in it. If you think it's unsafe have it tested.


Answer by  Ironlion45 (35)

This is caused by dissolved metallic elements inthe water. Usually it is from sitting in metal pipes. Some metals can be toxic, you must test it to know for sure.


Answer by  eyeguy (3760)

Mineral deposits often give off a metallic odor in well water. Its best to have the water tested, especially if this is a new occurance. The County has a service in most states which will come out and test your well for free

You have 50 words left!