Question by  Geezergrrl (19)

What could be causing a grating noise in my upper back?

When I move or twist my back makes a grating or grinding noise, what is causing this?


Answer by  eoghansmrs (7)

I have the same occurance when I practice Yoga or simple stretching. I also suffer episodes of severe lower back pain and suffer with siatica. I had an xray earlier this week and it turns out I have herniated disc which the Chiropractor translated to early arthritis. I'm 29 -


Answer by  NYCCDC (311)

This noise could be a "cavitation" or a joint in your back moving to a point where gasses are released in the joint which create the audible sound. You likely have "crepitus" which tells of functional dysfuntion in the joints of that area. Consult with your MD or a chiropractor.


Answer by  kungfukid (1241)

It could be caused by a herniated or slipped disc, which allows bone to bone contact between the vertebra when you move. It could also be bone spurs or arthritis building up that causes bones to touch or rub together. If those are the case, increased muscle tone and strength may help to keep the bones separated.


Answer by  kungfukid (1241)

Sounds like bones grinding together. That normally happens when disks between the vertebra that normally keep them separated are damaged allow them to touch together. It makes that grinding or grating sound during movement.


Answer by  Liz59 (10966)

Well, your disk may have rotated. This sounds like a major problem and I would get it checked by xray through a doctor as soon as possible. This is very serious.


Answer by  chels (177)

The reason I think this is happening is because when you get older, or if your not older, maybe your not getting enough calcium but the cartilage between your bones begins to deteriorate and causes the bones to rub together. This now causes your bones to make that grinding, grating noise.


Answer by  G12345 (1808)

Most of the time it is a mechanical cause, such as degeneration from previous injuries or osteoarthritis causing osteophytes. If you want a defintive answer see you doctor and see if they are interested in do a simple x-ray to evaluate for osteophytes.


Answer by  Huntress (1935)

You don't mention if pain accompanies these symptoms so a specific answer will be difficult. You could have some vertebrae that have compressed together or you could have vertebrae that are out of place. If you have pain, swelling or soreness then go see a chiropractor.


Answer by  bash (1026)

This maynot be a very serious probles. It may be due to some rheumatic complaint or due to fluid variation in joints. However, taking the advice of an Orthopaedic Surgeon is essential in this case. If you don't feel any pain or discomfort, nothing much to worry.

You have 50 words left!