Question by  kathyg (20)

What can I do if I have lost the ignition key to my car?


Answer by  Tvalentin9 (7)

Best advice would be to contact a car manufacturer that carries the type of car you own. You could then probably give the VIN Number and order a new key.


Answer by  Shelley70 (285)

You can contact the dealer where the car was purchased and they should be able to order one. If it is a used car, one can be ordered.


Answer by  jennifern2213 (68)

If you lose the ignition key to your car you will need to find the title to your car and bring it to a locksmith or key maker. With the VIN number they will be able to create a new key for your car. Bring your ID to identify yourself.


Answer by  Amber40 (24961)

Start by contacting your local car dealer. They should be able to cut a new key as long as you can provide some proof of ownership and information like the VIN. Another option would be to contact you local locksmith. Usually they can make a new key for the lock. However this may be quite costly and time consuming.


Answer by  Allstar (2071)

If you can find a key code in the manual or otherwise, your dealership can have a new key made. If not, you may have to take the vehicle to a locksmith.


Answer by  dx10 (144)

Take your VIN number and proof of ownership to a dealership. They can use this information to make a new key.


Answer by  embockjr (709)

If you lost the ignition key to your car you should contact a dealer. The service department will likely have a suggested fix, especially if you recorded the key # information listed in the manual. Another suggestion would be to contact a locksmith who is able to handle auto related problems. Have an extra key made to prevent this problem again.


Answer by  Amber40 (24961)

There are two solutions. One option is to take your car's information to a dealer and have them provide you with a new one. The other option consists of disassembling the steering column or dash and removing the old ignition then installing a new one. However this is more of a last resort since it is costly and labor intensive.


Answer by  worker (9)

contact the dealer and for a price they can provide you with another copy of the key. Or you can contact a locksmith. go directly to the dealer and they should have your key information on record.


Answer by  secondbanana (289)

If the key has a thick plastic top, go to the dealer for a replacement. A locksmith can replace the flat, metal keys from older cars.


Answer by  bb (674)

check with the dealership and give them the vin number off the car. if that does not work, you may have to replace the switch.

You have 50 words left!