Question by  timswi (63)

What can I do if I determine my employer is not paying my SS tax?

After extensive research I learned that my employer is not paying my ss tax, I am behind by six months.


Answer by  Att4372 (1704)

Unless you have very low income (under $100 per month), Social Security is not optional. Your employer is required to pay his share, plus forward the amount deducted from your check. Report this to the IRS. They can collect the amount due from your employer.


Answer by  Chaneygirl (1755)

If your employer is withholding the tax and not remitting it, you do not have a problem, the employer does. If your employer is not withholding the tax, you are considered self employed. You should send in form 1-ES with 15. 3% of what you have made thus far + income taxes.


Answer by  cgroverla (516)

Request a statement of earnings from the Social Security Administration. Report any shortfall to the SSA immediately. Recognize that the last year's earnings may not be complete because it takes months to post earnings to individual accounts. The SSA will go after the employer for payment of payroll taxes to the extent of closing down the business if necessary.


Answer by  henners (568)

To check and make sure that your employer is correctly paying your SS taxes you can check your pay stub and contact the Social Security Administration directly.

You have 50 words left!