Question by  Aimee (46)

How do you opt out of having tax deductions from your check?

I would like to pay my taxes myself and need to have them not taken out of my income.


Answer by  Att4372 (1704)

Ask the Human Resources department / person at your company for a W4 form. This lets you set the level of deductions. If you have low income, you can select "exempt from withholding. " Otherwise, you can increase the number of dependents you claim. Note: If your withholding is less than 90% of tax due, you might own a penalty.


Answer by  cgroverla (516)

You can choose to be exempt from withholding only if you owed zero tax in the prior year and expect to owe zero tax in the current year. If you expect to owe any tax, you are required to withhold taxes from your wages. Under withholding may result in penalties and interest.


Answer by  Chaneygirl (1755)

You can file a w4 with a high number of allowances. If you owe a large amount at the end of the year there could be penalties & interest involved.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

This is done by increasing your standard deductions and number of dependents until no taxes are taken out of your check. However, if you hit the salary level to require quarterly taxes, you must pay those as well as annual payroll taxes on your own.

You have 50 words left!