Question by  GreenYourLife (1)

What can I do about my brother-in-law who borrowed money and now, after a small payment, calls it a "gift" and refuses to pay it back?

He begged me and my husband for money after we got a settlement from an accident.


Answer by  malone (4817)

File in Small Claims Court. Though you have no contract indicating that it was a loan, the fact that he made a payment demonstrates that he knows he owes the money. Sadly, suing him is likely the only recourse you have.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Sue him in Small Claims Court. Since he did made a payment, the court will likely view it as a loan. Check online for the maximum amount can request.


Answer by  sherryk (621)

Sue the schmuck. But, you might lose a sister. In any case, he has bad character and she's probably better off without him. Be prepared to take your sister in if they split up.


Answer by  John (9008)

The rules for this vary from state to state. You should talk to a lawyer as soon as possible; there may be time limits for you to act.

You have 50 words left!