Question by  Mikey35 (22)

What area of the law deals with commissions and salary?

My employer is not paying me what I am owed, and I want to sue.


Answer by  mannersandsuch (1796)

An worker rights attorney would be a good place to start. The other type of attorney that you could find is employer comp. they don't specialize in this but will be familiar or you could even seek out a forensic accountant. I hope that you are able to get this straightened out, way you cost carefully.


Answer by  noey1958 (1405)

Get ahold of your Department of Labor and if you don't have anything local look them up on the web, for the Federal bureau.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Discuss the problem with your employer to find out exactly what the reasoning is for not paying you. If you do not agree with the logic, you can file against the employer in Small Claims Court to recover. Doing so will likely necessitate that you seek other employment, so make sure the benefit justifies the cost to you.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If you have copies of time cards that show time worked but for which you have not been paid, contact your state's labor department to sue for wages.


Answer by  XQT (44)

There are both federal and state laws applicable to disputes involving wage and hour issues. A good start will be to look at your state's department of labor website.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

Check with your State Labor Board first, and you can often file a complaint online. Call your State's Attorney General's Office, or Secretary of State. They can advise you how to proceed.


Answer by  OedipusLex (13)

Contract law is the broad formal category covering commissions and salary, but you'll find local specialists and attorneys operating under headings such as 'labor law' or 'employment law.'

You have 50 words left!