pet health


Question by  ericksmerick (16)

Should I be treating rabbits with ivermectin?


Answer by  Osafp (29)

Ivermectin is used on rabbits with mange or cheyletiellosis, caused by mites or parasites. A study conducted in Sweden showed a success rate of approximately 81% in rabbits treated with two to three injections per day over 11 days. Success also depends on cleaning the rabbit's environment and on treatment of any other pets in the immediate environment.


Answer by  JMH918 (71)

No you should not treat rabbits with ivermectin. Rabbits tend to have sensitive systems and allergic reactions to ivermectin. Please seek treatment with a veterinarian who has experience treating rabbits.


Answer by  Colorgirl (73)

Technically, that depends on the rabbit and the illness the rabbit has. Some rabbits might not respond well to this strong antiparasite drug and it may be hard to determine the correct dosage. However, as in all medicine, the question whether the risk outweighs the reward depends on the individual situation.


Answer by  Jakecutter (1819)

Rabbits have a sensitive biochemistry and thus they are even more sensitive to chemicals and drugs than any other animal on the planet. Most vets are cat and dog vets and while this is good, you need to take your rabbit to an actual rabbit vet for something like this.


Answer by  vikkyrs (377)

Normally ivermectin treats mites in rabbits. Rabbits like dutch rabbits are found more sensitive to ivermectin. Homeopathy treatments are available even the effects are slow; but with no side effects.


Answer by  fiddlefaddle (883)

Treating rabbits with Ivermectin is tricky. A lot of rabbits have allergic reactions with it, others do not. It is recommended to use small doses, consult your local vet.


Answer by  what (16)

It is not advisable. Rabbits are very sensitive to chemical so you may be doing more harm than good. Ivermectin is generally used on larger animals.


Answer by  Kath (1537)

Rabbits do not always react well to medications, and the use of ivermectin could cause shock to the rabbit. Use a mineral oil mixture to treat the mites.


Answer by  raylee (17)

I have rabbits and have never used a wormer on them. I use Ivermectin regularly for my horses. I would contact a vet for advice before purchase of this product.


Answer by  Brandon55 (1719)

Ivermectin is one of the choice treatments for rabbits, however many rabbits have allergic reactions to the chemical. Also, since Ivermectin is a nerve agent, carefully check the exact dosage because, like people, taking to much medication can have disasterous effects.


Answer by  kangaroodoyle (324)

If your rabbit has a mite infection, yes. It should be given in three doses spaced two weeks apart. This dosage regimen co-incides with the mites life cycle. Consult a vet for a proper diagnosis.

You have 50 words left!