Question by  emily (32)

If I have a large amount of debt, will that cause a modification of alimony?

I cannot pay the alimony and pay off the debt.


Answer by  mpartin (1600)

You will need to hire an attorney and go back to court and get a judge to re-evaluate your case if your income or expenditures have changed since you were ordered to pay alimony. They may can lower the amount you are ordered to pay if the circumstances have changed.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Debt does not offset or modify maintenance order in a divorce case. You might consult with your attorney for guidance in resolving your financial concerns.


Answer by  carfixer (243)

Nothing is modified automatically with alimony. You probably need to get a lawyer, preferrably one that deals with bankruptcy law.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

Alimony is spousal support. If the load of debt is too high to allow you to eat after paying off all obligations, you can petition the court to reduce alimony. Conversely, if the debt was partially acquired while married, you can review your divorce agreement and ensure that your former spouse pays their fair share of the debt.

You have 50 words left!