Question by  Pefog (17)

How do you lay a claim to unclaimed mineral rights funds?

I have discovered that my family has several thousands of dollars in unclaimed funds as a result of mineral rights.


Answer by  lovelife (998)

If you are an heir, simply file a claim at the district office stating that you are a relative that has claim to the mineral rights. It will be necessary to provide proof and some paperwork will need to be filled out as well.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

You can only claim unclaimed funds if you are the legal owner or have proof that you are the direct heir to the estate. If the money is owed to grandparents and your parents are alive, their child, your parent, has the legal right to claim the unclaimed funds. Any money must also be split among heirs.


Answer by  Christian9247 (5042)

If you are an heir just file a claim. If not then go to your local State Treasury Department, file a claim for an 'Unclaimed Funds' you do need to be the owner of the property to follow through with this.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

These funds are typically handed over to the unclaimed property department of the state Treasurer or Comptroller. You must either be the owner of the property or have proof that you are an heir to claim the money.

You have 50 words left!