how to


Question by  rajkiran (31)

How do you get special eduction and gifted teacher certification in Florida?

I want to be either a special education teacher or a teacher of gifted kids.


Answer by  bill14 (308)

Complete a state-approved teacher preparation program. This does not necessarily mean college. You may also go through alternative teacher preparation by working directly in a school.


Answer by  nicole31 (67)

For special education you need to either graduate from a BA program with an ESE program or get a BA and pass the subject area test for special education. Gifted teacher certification requires certification in the subject area plus extra classes to certify to teach in gifted education. The School board will pay if you're already a certified teacher.


Answer by  wallaby78 (2293)

You can get these qualifications by submitting the relevant documentation to the State Education Office. You will need to have completed the relevant coursework.


Answer by  rachel75 (30)

You first need to graduate from a state-approved teacher preparation program, then you need to pass all three portions of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) in Special Ed or GT.


Answer by  Brandon55 (1719)

First, you have to hold at least a bachelors degree in something related to special education or gifted teacher certification. Second, teachers must pass courses that specialize in behavioral plans, up to 30 hours. Finally, state examinations are required.

You have 50 words left!