health treatments


Question by  davidu (20)

How do you care for cracked or bruised ribs?

I bruised my ribs in a car accident and need to make sure I am doing the right things.


Answer by  Mrscmrn (1449)

To care for cracked or bruised ribs, treat the pain. Also take frequent deep breaths every hours when awake to help prevent pulmonary complications.


Answer by  DrColbath (103)

The primary treatment is pain control. You can take over-the-counter products such as Ibuprofen 800mg every 6 hours as needed or Naproxen 250mg every 6-8 hours as needed (but not both). These can be combined with Tylenol. Then taking a few deep breaths every 1-2 hours helps prevent lung collapse.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

You should have seen a doctor to insure you don't have internal injuries or fracturing which may damage the lungs. I understand having no insurance, so you may need to use rest, baths and Ibuprofen or Naproxen to ease pain and swelling. 6-8 wks of no lifting, exercise or twisting movements. I strongly urge you have an Xray and doctor.


Answer by  bobtehcar (50)

Bruised Ribs are usually nothing to worry about and will heal just fine by themselves. If things do not seem to get better you should visit your doctor and ask him what he thinks

You have 50 words left!