Question by  thisguy (27)

How do I go about claiming a donation to a 501(c)(3)?


Answer by  Chaneygirl (1755)

The 501c3 should provide you with a receipt. The donation is deductible on schedule A, itemized deductions. If you cannot itemize your deductions (mortgage loan iterest, real estate taxes, medical expenses, donations, ect) you probably can't do anything with it.


Answer by  Maureen (60)

This would be listed as a charitable donation on Schedule A of the 1040 form. You can only claim this if you itemize deductions.


Answer by  epaulzy (119)

The most important thing you must do to claim it on your taxes is get the 501 (c) number from the non-profit organization where you made your donation. With new tax laws the IRS is cracking down on what is considered a non-profit donation. If you have that number you'll be fine come tax time.


Answer by  cgroverla (516)

Enter the amount of cash or value of property donated on Schedule A of Form 1040. You will receive a tax benefit as long as you can itemize your deductions.


Answer by  lois47 (383)

First,make sure you have a receipt. You must itemize your deductions to claim your donation on Schedule B of your tax forms.


Answer by  CODY123 (19)

When you do your federal income tax return you can claim the deduction on schedule A under the charitable contribution heading.

You have 50 words left!