Question by  corragh (17)

Can I claim my 23 year old child on my taxes?

My 23 year old son still lives at home and I would like to claim him on my taxes.


Answer by  shanna34 (34)

It depends yes you can claim your 23 year old on your taxes if he is not working and you are providing more then half of his over all support.


Answer by  willard (874)

If he makes less than $3500, is not claimed by anyone else(and doesn't file jointly with a spouse) and you pay more than half of his support, or if he's been a full time student for five months during the year,then you can claim him,


Answer by  beck (1099)

You can claim him as a qualifying child if he is a full time student for at least 5 months out of the year and you provide over half his support. You can claim him only as a dependent (qualifying relative) if he earns less than 3650 dollars and you provide over half of his support.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

You may claim him IF you provide more than half of his living expenses and he is not filing his own taxes listing himself as independent (not a dependent). You could also claim him if he is legally disabled and if you have proof he is disabled, and thus he will always be your dependent.

You have 50 words left!