Question by  Monosuki (35)

How can you get a copy of a tax return from a previous year?

I guess I did not keep copies and now I need copies.


Answer by  Att4372 (1704)

Complete Form 4506 - Request for Copy of Tax Return - and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. (Form available at IRS web site.) The fee is $57.00 fee for each tax year requested. Copies are available for returns filed during the past six years.


Answer by  ethelbertIII (30)

If you paid a professional to prepare your return, often he or she will still have a copy on his computer. Otherwise you can obtain a copy of your return from the IRS for a fee by sending in a completed form 4506.


Answer by  John (9008)

The IRS actually keeps copies for at least three years, so you can request it from them. It can take several weeks, however.


Answer by  Taxmatters (169)

If you require the complete return and any schedules, file Form 4506 and send $39. Send the request to the location specified on the form and usually within two weeks you will receive your copies. I am assuming you did not use a paid preparer, who could provide you with a courtesy copy.


Answer by  joantheresa (1421)

If you had someone prepare your taxes for that year, go to them and ask for a copy from their records. Otherwise, request a copy from the Internal Revenue Service by going to their website and filling out an application.

You have 50 words left!