legal  taxes


Question by  jlaird (190)

Can I put a foreign address on a W-9?

I am a US citizen currently living outside of the US. Can I provide my non-US address on the W-9 tax form? Can my client include a foreign address on a 1099?


Answer by  benicio (257)

Yep. Check out the 1040 Instructions. Scroll down to the "address" section. There you'll see that foreign addresses are OK. They tell you the order to put the info.

Reply by apple (447):
Thanks benicio! That order (for anyone else that doesn't want to go to the IRS's site) is: city, state/province, country. Follow the country's rules for entering zip codes (postal codes) and country names should not be abbreviated.  add a comment

Answer by  malone (4817)

Go to the IRS site for instructions. Income earned while living outside the U.S. is not subject to U.S. income taxes, regardless the location of the payer. You only have to report the income earned while you were living within the U.S.


Answer by  Hewitt302 (1720)

The tax laws have changed, so it is best to get an expert opinion,contact the IRS either by phone or email, and they will tell you for sure what to do. Usually, it's best to provide all information if you are paying US taxes abroad, which includes your current address and US address, if applicable.


Answer by  tiffaney (15)

I have read on this subject. To my knowledge I don't think you can put this address on this type of form. From the articles I've read I think that it was suggested to fill out another type of form. It was also suggested that an address change be made.

You have 50 words left!