debt  legal


Question by  KL (11)

Can I file bankruptcy for a judgment against me?


Answer by  patti (29325)

You can file bankruptcy, which should discharge any judgments currently against you. Judgments for child support, child support arrears, student loans and back taxes are not included.


Answer by  John (9008)

You don't file bankruptcy "on" a single debt; it is mostly an all-or-nothing proposition. That being said, most judgments are dischargeable in bankruptcy, but it depends on the nature of the underlying debt. Student loans and tax debts--even if the lead to judgments--are examples of non-dischargeable debts.


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

You can but be aware if you owe money to the federal government or student loan you cannot file bankruptcy to discharge the debt. They can garnish your wages regardless of what you do


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

Yes, you can. However, appealing the judgment is cheaper and has no effect on your credit. Giling bankruptcy essentially destroys your credit.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

As long as it's not Student Loans or has to do with any accident resulting in you being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, court fine, Child Support, taxes or debts incurred by fraud as well. Once you file the papers any debt that you incur will not be covered and you will be responsible for it.

You have 50 words left!