debt  legal


Question by  Katie75 (35)

Can I bring a credit card lawsuit for a paid in full account?

Collection agencies continue to harass me.


Answer by  Tomg (129)

Under federal law you can write the agencies requesting them to cease and decist from contacting you. If the continue then federal law allows you to file suit if they violate the consumer protection laws


Answer by  NGoodson (3395)

You can't really file a lawsuit, but you can contact the original creditor and tell them that you keep getting harrassed. If that doesn't fix the problem, contact the BBB about it.


Answer by  catch2007 (212)

First, write a letter to the creditor asking them to cease all contact and send via certified mail. If they continue to contact you, you may sue them for violating the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. It is also a good idea to check your credit report and dispute any inaccurate information.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

If you have paid the balance off in full they have NO RIGHT to keep bothering you. Contact your local Police Department and tell them you are being harassed. Give them proof you paid off the amount as well as the harassing agency.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If you have proof the debt is paid in full, the collectors are in violation of the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You can then report them to the Federal Trade Commission for violation of federal law and the BBB.


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

Before you file a lawsuit make sure all your payments were credited to the right account. Also make sure none of your payments returned NSF. If yes then you can.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If you have proof it is paid in full, you can report the collection agency to the Federal Trade Commission for harassment and the Attorney General of your state for illegally attempting to collect a paid debt.


Answer by  palaeologus (564)

In nearly all states, you can go to court to have legal rights and responsibilities declared in a binding civil judgment; having paid in full, you could try that approach.


Answer by  Darry (3853)

Yes, if you have proof that the account is paid in full you can seek a lawsuit against the credit agency. Submit a letter in writing to the agency informing them of your payment status and request that all collection efforts stop and if the account has been reported to a credit bureau that it should be retracted.

You have 50 words left!