Question by  dsw (13)

Can a parent file a paternity suit from another state?


Answer by  LASH (142)

Yes. However you will be required to hire a lawyer who is authorized to practice in the state where the child resides. If settlement between the parties cannot be reached without a court hearing or trial, you will be requied to go to court in person.


Answer by  CarlSCansino (464)

Yes, venue for any case including paternity is proper in the state where the defendant or the children reside. If you and your children live in state B and the alleged father lives in state A, he can file a paternity suit in State B. What is improper would be for him to file in the state that he lives.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Paternity concerns the determination of a child's father. The suit must be filed in the county where the mother and child live, regardless where the father lives.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

Yes, but you will still be required to file in the state in which the child resides. You should make sure that your attorney is licensed to practice in the state in which the child resides. You can file some documentation remotely, but the suit will be heard in the state in which the child in question has residency.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Yes you can. However, if you are not really involved with your child it may be harder to win this suit. Just get a really good lawyer and get your case together before you go to court and you still have a very good shot at winning the paternity suit.

You have 50 words left!