Question by  aleksandar13 (2)

How can I get a divorce if I move out of state to get away from my husband?

Do I have to file in the state where we were married?


Answer by  patti (29325)

Each state has specific rules about who can file for divorce and when. You can find this information online. You must establish residency in the state where you want to file. It doesn't matter where you were married or where your estranged spouse lives.


Answer by  snazzysnert (47)

You do not have to return to the state where you married in order to get a divorce. You can get a divorce in any state where you are a resident. Residency can take from three months to one year to establish. If you leave your current state, you will have to wait to file for divorce.

You have 50 words left!