Question by  cheermomshannon (21)

Are holly bush berries poisonous?

I want to decorate with them but not if they are poisonous.


Answer by  kellyanneo (23)

Although many birds and animals eat them, the berries are toxic to humans. They can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and as few as 20 berries can be fatal to humans.


Answer by  dweerts320 (85)

They are toxic to humans. Some symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea. The approximate amount found to be deadly to humans is around 20, but they have been found to be a very important food to many birds, and other animals will also eat them. Overall the amount of ilicin they have make them deadly to humans.


Answer by  caitchison (76)

Holly berries are mildly poisonous. It would take about twenty berries to kill an average sized adult, even though many birds enjoy them as a wintertime treat. However, it should still be safe to decorate with them as long as you don't have any pets- the berries would case vomiting and diarrhea once ingested.


Answer by  cb64 (36)

With their deep green foliage and bright red berries, Holly is a beautiful natural choice as a holiday or year-round indoor decoration. However, if you have children, dogs or cats you might want to use discretion. The berries can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if consumed.


Answer by  juanita57 (1374)

I do not think holly bush berries are poisonous. They are beautiful to decorate with at Christmas. Birds love to eat them also.

You have 50 words left!