health conditions


Question by  stephb (19)

What should I do about cysts on my scalp?


Answer by  Kimberly72 (20)

Any person encountering cysts on their scalp should contact a physician. The average person would probably not know the severity of the cyst and may need to have tests to make sure the cysts are benign. A dermatologist may be able to prescribe medication to make the cysts go away.


Answer by  Emr (698)

Pilar cysts are very common, especially in middle aged women. If you have a full head of hair, don't worry about it. They're harmless. If they are visible because they are large or you have thin or no hair, a dermatologist can take them out.


Answer by  Teaberry (846)

Lightly sqeeze it. Keep the area clean. Some cysts are caused by clogged hair folicles and others may be a sign of an infection. If hair loss results, consult your doctor. Otherwise, apply light clean on the area to help soothe.


Answer by  musicmimes (64)

Sometimes scalp cysts offer no issue to people. Although, if it is painful, or causes other issues you should go to your dermotologist. it's never a bad idea to see a doctor if you're concerned. A dermatologist would have to surgically remove the cyst if it comes to that. See your doctor if youre worried.


Answer by  Dustin (359)

You should not pick them and see a doctor. Reoccurring cysts could be a sign of a larger problem. Keep the area dry and clean.


Answer by  diva25 (4016)

The best thing to do is to go see a doctor and have them see if they can figure out why you are getting cysts on your head. That can't be a good sign.


Answer by  Liz59 (10966)

Contact your doctor and ask him about cyst removal. Cyst removal is a painless procedure and will cure all of the problems. Cysts can be painful. Get them removed.


Answer by  fishlover49 (643)

The cysts are probably caused by irritated hair follicles. There are two regularly performed treatments for scalp cysts. The first is surgical removal, the second is steroid injection to shrink the cyst. There is a possibility for cancer so I would highly recommend scheduling an appointment with your local dermatologist.

You have 50 words left!