Question by  colshan (63)

What is the process for getting custody of my grandson?

My daughter has just begun to serve a 10-year sentence for drug trafficking. Her young son, my grandchild is staying with her boyfriend while my daughter is in jail. The situation for my grandson is terrible. What can I do to gain legal control of the situation, and have my grandson live with me?


Answer by  John (9008)

The rules for this vary tremendously from state to state. If the boyfriend is the child's father, there is probably nothing that you can do unless the situation rises to the level of abuse or neglect. If he is not, your daughter may assign custody to you. If she won't do this, you need to see an attorney.


Answer by  Marsha (2337)

You will need to petition the court for legal custody of the child. You will be best off if you hiore an attorney to do this for you as he or she will know exactly what to do. If you cannot afford one seek out the services of a legal aid society where there will be no cost to you.


Answer by  Fritz (608)

I would go to a court and take any evidence I have that the child is in a bad home and see if the judge will grant you temporary custody until your daughter is able to care for him again.


Answer by  eyesfan (111)

The quickest way for a short term solution would be to contact social services if there is any neglect or abuse they would probably place him with you. The long term solution would be to contact a lawyer for permanent custody.

You have 50 words left!