Question by  Alereon (44)

How do you file for sole custody of a child?

Right now I have joint custody but I want sole custody.


Answer by  patti (29325)

For the most part, courts want children to have the benefit of both parents. If you can prove reasons why the other parent is unfit to provide a safe, healthy environment for the child, you may be able to be named the primary custodian, while the other parent gets visitation. But you most likely cannot elminate the other parent entirely.


Answer by  bigwig (654)

You're going to have to go to court and get a court order (unless your ex agrees to give it to you). You should get a lawyer.


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

You need to have a valid reason to request sole custody. If the co-parent is solid and the court can't find a reason then your request will be denied. Some grounds for sold custody is if the child is in imminent danger, neglect or abuse. The best interest of the child always come first regardless of your feelings.


Answer by  nekturk (139)

You would file a claim in family court petitioning the court for sole custody, and outlining the reasons why the other parent should not have custody and why you should be granted sole custody.


Answer by  withsmluck (793)

You will need to submit the proper paperwork with the court. It the other parent is unwilling, you will need to prove them unfit.


Answer by  Mary (2095)

You would motion the court where the original custody arrangement was made. You should talk to an attorney about filing and what the specific requirements are for filing. Some states require that you show there has been a substantial change in circumstances in order to change a custody agreement. There may be other requirements.

You have 50 words left!