Question by  skewed (15)

What is involved in changing names on a home or property deed?

My mother died and left me her farm. How do I go about transferring the deed into my name, from hers?


Answer by  Chaneygirl (1755)

I would start with the register of deeds where the farm is located. If you have an attorney handling her estate, he/she should be able to help you with this as well.


Answer by  eldergeek (473)

If changing the name on the deed didn't occur when the will was probated your best option may be to hire a lawyer. Check with the county clerk first.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

The property will have to go through probate. If you are shown to be the heir, the probate court will change the deeds from her name to yours. You may be liable for property taxes in the interim, and may also owe inheritance taxes. The taxes owed depend on where you live.


Answer by  lori25 (33)

You have to bring the will and/or paperwork stating that the property was left to you, along with the original deed (if you have it) and a copy of her death certificate to the registry of deeds in your area so that they can transfer the information.

You have 50 words left!