Question by  Monique (28)

What can you tell me about sterling silver stamp marks?

I have several stamp marks on my sterling silver jewelry and need to know what it means.


Answer by  Cecilia (2828)

There are several standard marks for silver in the US. Sterling silver or .925 indicate that the piece is 92.5% silver. There is also likely a makers mark. These are generally listed in registers. If your pieces not from the US the system is similar but there are a lot more variations. England is particularly strict about hallmarks.


Answer by  Sett (1838)

In most countries when a sterling silver object is made it is stamped once or many times to indicate its authenticity. Numbers like 925 show the piece is pure silver. It can be stamped with the manufacturers,or the silversmiths mark which are usually letters, sometimes even marked with the date.

posted by Anonymous
925 is not pure silver, it is however sterling silver... 925 parts silver .075 alloy  add a comment

Answer by  kmelchers (113)

A three-digit number impressed into your jewelry is a hallmark indicating the silver's purity. Other marks you may see are words or letters indicating the maker, ie maker's mark, letters or numbers that represent the place of manufacture, and even tiny pictures that would mean your jewelry was made in Europe.


Answer by  colours123 (30)

Sterling silver has a stamp that says 925. This means that the silver is 92.5% pure. The remaining 7.5% is made up of other metals that strengthen the silver.


Answer by  noey1958 (1405)

If you have EPNS this means it is silverplate. A lion denotes english silver. 925 is sterling silver. 800 is another silver mark which means 800 parts silver per 1000. Sometimes Silver is marked .333 for sterling silver. Every country uses different marks, and you can type in sterling silver marks in a search engine to look yours up.


Answer by  Darkephoenix (1789)

Stamp marks on sterling silver jewelry could be a number of things. It could be the maker's mark of the person who crafted the piece if it was hand made. Or it could be the grade of the silver used in creating the piece. If they are recent pieces, check where they were purchased for information.


Answer by  Ginny (2251)

It is called a hallmark and identifies the silver content in the piece, as opposed to a maker's mark which identifies the craftsman or company that made the piece. You may find the number 925 because sterling must be at least 92. 5 percent pure.


Answer by  senegaulois (139)

Hallmarks are codes that identify the region of origin, if not the silversmith, the year or the period of manufacture and the assay mark. Consult a speciality book or internet.


Answer by  Huntress (1935)

The hallmarks can tell you the who, what and when of when the piece was made. My advice is to go to 925-1000. com and research silver hallmarks there. There is also a forum available where you can show and discuss the marks with other collectors.

You have 50 words left!