Question by  viridis (59)

What can you do if you lost you savings bonds in a fire?

Three months ago my house burned down and with the loss of the house I also lost my savings bonds.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

You can contact the Treasury Department and request a replacement bond. All you will need is your social security number.


Answer by  richmiller3214 (138)

If you lose your savings bonds in a fire you can go back to the financial institution that you purchased them from and request a copy.


Answer by  Vladlen (358)

Nowadays almost all securities are stored in digital form. So first of all, to go to the broker you bought bonds from. Even if you bonds were not transfered to the digital database, your brokerage firm most likely have their own records, otherwise they will advice, what you should do.

You have 50 words left!