Question by  karmachaos (26)

What can be done for my horse that has a bony growth?

My horse has a bony growth.


Answer by  partyanimal33 (452)

Firstly, it really depends on where the growth is. If it is in a joint or effecting movement, an interarticular injection may help. Otherwise, probably nothing short of surgical removal.


Answer by  partyanimal33 (452)

It really depends on where the growth is and how it is effecting the horse. If it is located in or on a joint and inhibiting movement, surgical removal is an option, however surgery carries alot of risk. If the growth is not effecting the horse's comfort or movement, the best thing is probably just to leave it be.


Answer by  MrsShannonHarrell (768)

Consult vet. Determine cause of growth. Vet may prescribe pain killers/ anti inflamtories, joint supplement to ease joint pain, or surgery to remove the growth. Surgery would depend on location, size, and if the horse is lame from the growth. The growth may calcify and be no problem for a while.


Answer by  MrsShannonHarrell (768)

Consult with your vet on a treatment course. You might need to feed joint supplements, such as Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitins, and Hylaronic Acid. Joint injections are also an option to consider. Don't over do it with him, and condition carefully. Movement often times helps ease pain.


Answer by  Darlene (194)

First of call contact your local vet and it unable add supplments ot horse grain and daily exercise for your horse. It will be something that will not take overnight it will take a period of time.

You have 50 words left!