health conditions


Question by  bapadget (25)

What can be done for compartment syndrome in your hand?

The doctor says I have compartment syndrome but did not provide me with advice on what to do.


Answer by  starmlw (960)

This is a very serious condition that could cause tissue death and loss of your hand. The first thing you need to do is get a second opinion. I would go to a hand specialist. In Louisville Ky they have Kutz and Klinert. They specialize in hand surgery. If a specialist is not available see a neurologist.


Answer by  tbird16 (153)

Compartment syndrome of the hand is pretty unusualy, however it most often occurs postoperatively or after a crushing injury. Most of the time, you will need surgery to treat this.


Answer by  Huntress (1935)

Usually those who have compartment syndrome require surgery. Permanent nerve damage could occur if it goes unchecked. You need to sit with your doctor and discuss any options you have and do it as soon as possible.


Answer by  champaign9497 (11977)

Then you need to call the doctor on the phone and tell them that you need more information on the treatment for what you have so that you can make sure you are taking care of yourself properly so that this problem doesn't continue to become bigger than it already is.


Answer by  atman (308)

Compartment syndrome is an emergent situation. It is when the pressure builds up too much in your extremity for blood to flow. Seek emergency treatment a from a hand surgeon.

You have 50 words left!